"Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will."
-
George Bernard Shaw

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Homemade Waffles

My brother's girlfriend, Steph, got me a breakfast/brunch cookbook a couple years ago, and I sat down to flip through it again earlier this week. We've been making pancakes and omelettes for dinner a lot lately and I was looking for some new recipes. I have always loved waffles (and prefer them to pancakes) but I don't think I've ever made them from scratch (Bisquick does not count as homemade. So sorry.). 


MMMmmmmmm........


Here's the sad part of this story: I think I may have reached my butter limit. I know, I just let you know how it's my favorite thing, and put an ungodly amount of it in the butter cookies I made last week. But tonight was a little extreme. And in my defense, I think it's partly the cookbook's fault. It practically MADE me use all that butter. Here is what the beginning of the recipe said: 


"We give you three choices to prepare this recipe: 
4 tablespoons butter for a reduced-fat waffle; 
8 tablespoons for a classic light and fluffy waffle; 
or 16 tablespoons for the crunchiest, most delicious
waffle imaginable." 

Are you kidding me? Of course I wanted to eat the crunchiest, most delicious waffle imaginable. So I put 16 tablespoons, which translates into TWO WHOLE STICKS, into the batter. And there was so much butter it was MELTING OUT OF THE BATTER once it hit the waffle iron, if that's even possible. So for 20 minutes while I cooked these things, I watched butter crackle and pop and seep out the sides of the waffle iron. No actual BATTER ran out--just pure BUTTER. I've never seen anything like it. And, of course I put more butter on top of my heavenly waffles to eat them. And after enjoying two, and looking at all the coagulating butter on the stove and seepage through paper towels I hurried to lay down after I realized what was happening...it was a unanimous decision at the Fischer Coalition HQ that from now on we'll go for a "classic light and fluffy waffle" instead. Or maybe something in between, like 10 TBS.

Waffles apparently freeze well, so I wrapped them up and put them in the freezer like the recipe suggested. This morning, we put them in the toaster oven for a few minutes, and they were quite possibly even more delicious than the first time around!! Brian is calling them Meggos. :)  

1 comment:

I LOVE reading your comments and feedback! Please take a quick moment to share your thoughts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...