"Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will."
-
George Bernard Shaw

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Bivouacking?

No thanks. This is absolutely the most insane, terrifying thing I've ever seen. 


Click on it and make it bigger! Way more terrifying. This picture is from Patagonia's 2009 holiday catalog,
but I found it here
The quote on the upper right of the picture is also hilarious. It says "For me, the most fun of climbing was bivouacking: getting up on a wall and sleeping in god-awful conditions, in hammocks or just hanging from your ropes all night trying to sleep. You really get into the rhythm of the wall. It's all about the process, not the goal." Yvon Chouinard, you're insane. 


On a side note, I had no idea that this was actually called "bivouacking." I kept searching for "cliff sleeping" or "sleeping on the side of a cliff" and Google kept giving me a million pictures of guys named Cliff, sleeping. And not even on the sides of mountains! Once it gave me a guy sleeping with a kitten named Cliff. I was okay with that one. I'm sure there's other names for this activity since bivouac actually has a more broad meaning--improvised shelter--but isn't bivouac just more fun to say?

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness. I would be up for a semi-large number of things, but absolutely NOT this. WOW.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE reading your comments and feedback! Please take a quick moment to share your thoughts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...